Veterinary Laser Surgery
What is a Laser? A laser is a device that generates an intense beam of light that can cut, seal or vaporize tissues. Your pet’s health is as important to us as it is to you and advances in veterinary medicine allow us to offer veterinary laser surgery as an exciting new option for safer, more comfortable treatment. In many procedures, the laser can replace the scalpel and provide a better alternative to traditional surgery.
Why Laser Surgery?
- Less Pain: The laser seals nerve endings as it “cuts”. As a result, your pet will experience less pain and be more comfortable post-operatively.
- Less Bleeding: The laser seals small blood vessels during surgery. This speeds many procedures, reducing the time your pet needs to be under anesthesia, which further reduces possible complications.
- Less Swelling: Laser energy does not crush, tear or bruise tissue because the only thing that touches your pet is an invisible beam of light. There is no physical contact.
What does this mean for my pet?
- Reduced Risk of Infection: As the laser removes diseased tissue, it seals the skin and reduces the amount of bacteria present.
- Precision: The laser can remove unhealthy tissue while minimizing adverse effects to healthy surrounding tissue.
- Quick return to Normal Activities: Healing is rapid and there is less post-operative discomfort and a better course of healing.
Pet Laser Surgery Versatility
The laser is ideal for a wide variety of surgical procedures for dogs and cats. Laser surgery is commonly used in soft-tissue surgical procedures. Our veterinarians will be able to tell you if your pet’s procedure can benefit from laser surgery.
Common procedures include:
- Oral / Dental Surgery
- Spays & Neuters
- Dermatological problems
- Tumor removal
When asked why he started performing laser surgery, Dr. Tuder replied, “The use of a surgical laser has improved our capabilities by allowing us to provide better pain management, less bleeding and a faster recovery time. This means we can provide our clients and their pets with improved patient care and cutting edge technology. Our laser has been a great addition to our practices.”